Is it that time of year already when we start preparing for hibernation just like the bears? It seems to be with the cool crisp mornings and shorter days that are now upon us. Just like spring home maintenance, fall cleaning is just as important in preparing your home for the winter months.
Below is a fall home chore checklist if you have trouble knowing where to start and what not to forget.
The Outside of Your Home
- Clean and store away patio furniture, umbrellas, grills & children’s summer toys.
- Rake your leaves & fertilize your grass.
- Remove thatch build-up in your yard.
- Clean out your garden.
- Give your trees and shrubs a good drink of water.
- Wash your exterior windows.
- Touch up paint on trim, railings and decks.
- Check caulk around windows and doors and re-caulk if needed.
- Put on storm doors & windows as well as installing weather-stripping on door thresholds.
- Drain and store your garden hoses and sprinkler systems.
- Check your gutters and downspouts for clogging and debris. If you never want to maintain your gutters again install LeafGuard® Brand Gutters.
- Give your outdoor tools a tune up.
- Clean your chimney.
The Inside of Your Home
- Wash the inside of your windows.
- Turn your mattress.
- Clear your carpets.
- Organize your kitchen cabinets for holiday cooking and entertaining.
- Clean or replace your humidifier elements.
- Check your dryer exhaust tube and vent for build-up.
- Have an inspection on your furnace.
- Buy water salt for your water softener.
- Stock up on furnace filters.
- Drain sediment from your water heater.
- Check all of your appliances in your home to ensure they are properly working.
- Stock up on wood for the winter.
Several of the products we specialize in can reduce the necessity for fall maintenance tasks, such as unclogging gutters. For more information about our home improvement services, contact us today. Our team of professionals is ready to serve you.