Mosquitoes love open-style gutters clogged with standing water, wet leaves, and other debris. In fact, a significant percentage of mosquitoes in your neighborhood are bred right at home, in your wet rain gutters.
Mosquitoes Gravitate To Standing Water In Gutters As A Breeding Ground
From a health standpoint, clogged gutters are a haven for mosquitoes that will breed freely in a clustered moist environment. Let’s not forget other gutter bugs like hornets or wasps and the constant distraction of outdoor life around your home. Mosquitoes love standing water and live where they breed. Experts say all it takes is one tablespoon of standing water in your gutter to breed hundreds of mosquitoes. Many people think that clogged gutters are a spring and fall phenomenon, but the mosquito breeding season is long and can extend because of early spring and late winter. As noted, stagnant water attracts pests but don’t overlook removing tree sap from your gutters as it can also attract mosquitoes and other bugs.
The Risk Of Mosquitoes In Gutters
Mosquitoes are commonly known to carry West Nile Virus which is on the rise. West Nile Virus (WNV) usually has the highest risk from mid-summer through early autumn. About 1 out of every 150 people bitten by infected mosquitoes will develop central nervous system disease, and approximately 10% of people with severe forms of WNV will form an infection and die. Fortunately, most healthy individuals infected develop West Nile Fever, which is a less severe form and can fight off the virus.
Clogged Gutters Attract Mosquitoes, Other Bugs, & Can Cause Damage
Standing water in clogged gutters is not only unsightly but also a danger to the integrity of your home and health. Here are some threats they present:
- Increased mosquito population increasing your health risk for West Nile Virus
- Increased mosquito populations also increase your dog’s chance of contracting heartworm since they carry this too
- Damage to your soffit & fascia
- Ground erosion that can lead to landscaping damage
- Cracks in the foundation and basement flooding
Learn more about serious common damage caused by clogged gutters.
Why Choose LeafGuard® Gutters To Protect Your Home & Health?
Rain gutters are meant to capture the water from your roof and carry it safely into a downspout – away from your soffit, fascia, and foundation, where it can cause damage. But ordinary open gutters often leave you disappointed since they’re prone to capturing leaves, twigs and other organic debris that can cause them to clog during rainstorms.
LeafGuard®’s patented, seamless design allows rainwater to travel down and around its curved hood and into the gutter, while deflecting leaves and debris. LeafGuard® Gutters are guaranteed not to clog for as long as you own your home, or the installing dealer, like us, will clean your gutters at no cost to you. LeafGuard® Gutters are custom fit, durable, and made in a wide variety of colors. Their attractive seamless and durable gutter design blends in perfectly with every style home. With LeafGuard®’s unique clog-free gutter protection system, you can forget about water damage, surface erosion, and climbing ladders. That’s why we say: With LeafGuard® Brand Gutters – Get It and Forget It!
Watch a LeafGuard® Review:
A Solution For Deterring Gutter Bugs & Debris Blockage
Well-informed homeowners have been choosing LeafGuard® seamless gutters for almost 30 years to safeguard their homes and here is why:
- LeafGuard®’s clog-free gutters allow rainwater to cling to the built-in hood and fall into the gutter, while leaves and other debris fall to the ground.
- LeafGuard® Brand Gutters not only looks better, but also functions better than add-on gutter guard covers, gutter hoods, and screens.
- LeafGuard®’s durable one-piece hood and gutter are formed from a seamless piece of aluminum eliminating problems with gutter attachments and color matching.
- LeafGuard® is not screwed or nailed into your roof causing damage and warranty violations associated with two-piece gutter systems.
- LeafGuard®Brand Gutters are securely fastened to your roof’s fascia board with hidden, non-corrosive, internal hangers.
- LeafGuard® is made from aluminum that is 20% heavier than standard aluminum rain gutters.
- The LeafGuard® system features larger downspouts that are also 30% thicker than standard aluminum gutters.
- LeafGuard®’s exclusive ScratchGuard® paint finish, won´t chip, peel or crack, and comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty.