651-212-4221
Mar 04, 2019
|

Four Home Winter Carbon Monoxide Dangers

In addition to the perils of driving on icy roads and increased chance for influenza, the winter months are the most dangerous in terms of home carbon monoxide poisoning.  Fumes from this odorless, colorless gas are present each time fuel is burned in gas ranges, fireplaces, and furnaces.  Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include dizziness, vomiting, nausea, chest pain, and disorientation.  These symptoms are like the flu, which can delay a proper diagnosis.  Here are the four most common ways unsafe levels of carbon monoxide enter your home.

Stove

Gas appliances require correct ventilation and it’s imperative to use your range hood when cooking.  Sadly, only one in four people within the nation live in a state that requires kitchen exhaust.  A gas oven should never be used as a method of heating a home.  If you’re unsure of how to install a combustion appliance, it’s well worth hiring a professional to complete the task for you.  Patches of soot around your stove are cause for concern, as are flames any color other than blue.

Learn More About Appliance Installation: 

Natural Gas Vents, Exhaust Stacks, and Fresh Air Intakes

In times of heavy snowfall, it’s possible for your home’s natural gas vents, exhaust stacks, and fresh air intakes to become blocked.  This is particularly true if they’re only a few feet off the ground.  Blocked vents can prevent carbon monoxide from being able to exit the home.

Fireplace

When using your fireplace, be sure to keep the flue open.  This prevents smoke and carbon monoxide build-up within the home.  It’s worth noting that using your fireplace oftentimes lowers the temperature in your home because opening the damper lets in as much cold air as an open window can.  Have your chimney routinely inspected for loose connections, blockages, and deterioration.  It can be a red flag if your chimney is showing rust streaks or the bricks at the top of the chimney become corroded and/or discolored.

lodge

Furnace

A worn out or defective home heating system can raise the elevations of carbon monoxide in your home to an unsafe level.  Ways this can happen is if the furnace combustion chamber is cracked, if the venting component was erroneously installed, or if the venting system becomes blocked.

Browse Our Recent Home Improvement Projects:

Browse Our Home Improvement Reviews:

Extremely happy with the new deck. They crew did an outstanding job. Their attention to detail was awesome. They were very meticulous in their work and it showed. They were very friendly and worked when it was very cold out without ever complaining. Everything from removing the old and deck and installing the next one was awesome. Highly recommend Lindus!

Jason P.
Hudson, WI
February 25, 2019

"The guys work diligently and finished in the appropriate time. They were conversive and answer all my questions. I would certainly recommend Lindus Construction."

Deb D.
Bloomington, MN
January 30, 2019

"You guys did a great job. Thanks so much."

Marty & Jo W.
Bloomington, MN
January 30, 2019

"Lindus replaced two portions of gutter with LeafGuard® gutters. Efficient, cleaned up and completed job in timely manner."

Jeanette M.
Chaska, MN
January 25, 2019

"This is a wonderful company to work with on roofing and gutters! They are very professional and they care about their customers."

Marietta D.
Plymouth, MN
January 18, 2019

"It has been reassuring that Lindus does prioritize customer service and quality craftsmanship. Thank you!"

Anna & Tom E.
Minneapolis, MN
January 15, 2019
75% Off installation labor on LeafGuard® Brand Gutters and GAF Asphalt We are also offering a complimentary heat map analysis with insulation estimates through May 2022.
Some restrictions may apply. Call for details.

Schedule An Appointment

Tell us when you need us and we will be there.

icon
Call
icon
Services
icon
Appointments
Menu