651-212-4221
Jul 28, 2015
|

5 Residential Fire Hazards you’re Ignoring

One of the most horrifying statistics we’ve heard lately is that every single day, firefighters across the country respond to 1,000 house fires.  Even worse, is that annually, 2,500 people perish in house fires.  This is in part due to the fact that it only takes 30 seconds for a fire to get out of control in a room.  Once that happens, the temperature quickly climbs to approximately 600 degrees.  There are obvious things that cause fires like unattended candles.  However, there are plenty of ways that house fires can originate that are less conspicuous.  Here are just a few:

Your Dryer: A dryer is set up to expel heat and moisture during the cycle.  If the lint trap is not emptied often enough, the dryer continues to run but cannot dry.  The temperature of the machine rises and can eventually cause a dryer vent fire.  In some newer homes, designers are placing the laundry room in the center of the home, rather than flush with an outside wall. This leads to longer dryer vents, which can ultimately increase fire risk, because it becomes more difficult for the dryer to release the lint.  Beware of extreme drying times, massive amounts of lint in your dryer trap and clothing that is too hot to handle when first coming out of the dryer.

Careless Home Improvements: Unless you are professionally trained, doing your own electrical work is a no-no.  It is well worth the investment to hire an electrician for rewiring that needs to be done in your home.  Additionally, properly dispose of rags that are used during staining or refinishing projects.  That’s because these they do not dry like paint does. Instead, they oxidize which can result in spontaneous combustion

Wobbly Outlets: Not only do wobbly outlets make it tricky to keep something plugged in, they can actually be an unseen fire hazard.  That’s because the hanging blades inside the outlet create some serious heat that can cause a house fire.  The moment you have plugs falling out of outlets because they are loose, swap the outlet out.

Electrical Overload: Think of all the technological advances that have taken place in the last 30 years.  From smartphones, to Blu-ray players, to gaming consoles, the amount of “stuff” plugged in at your home is likely at an all-time high.  Older homes do not always have the capacity to handle all of the electricity needed.  An overloaded breaker can cause a fire if it malfunctions and does not trip when it becomes overwhelmed.

Your Chimney: The purpose of a chimney is to vent toxic gases from your fireplace outside your home.  However, they are prone to build-up from particles that are not completely burned up in your fireplace. These particles, called creosote, can eventually start a fire.  While it’s a no-brainer that your chimney needs to be periodically cleaned, there are a few other preventative measures that can be taken.  These include burning fewer, larger logs versus a bunch of smaller ones, burning wood that is completely dry and never using gasoline or kerosene to jump start a fire.

  

Reviews

We Strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction

Delivering exceptional service is our No. 1 priority. Read these happy reviews from homeowners who were blown away by their home improvement experience with Lindus Construction.

"We are quite pleased with the way our project went. The Lindus folks have successfully managed to instill a culture of quality and customer service in throughout the entire business, which is rare these days.  Everyone we worked with carried that same attitude of wanting to do it right and make us happy. The installation went well and we are very satisfied."

Tim M.
Minneapolis, MN
June 20, 2023

"Thorough, timely, efficient, good communicators. Excellent work, cleaned up well and took care of a few extra details without any hassle."

Carla U.
Minneapolis, MN
May 17, 2023

"Your services and products are wonderful!  (And we have used Lindus three times now). The crews were gracious and hard-working."

Alan W.
St. Paul, MN
May 11, 2023

"I would just like to compliment Randahl for excellent work and customer service skills.  Every time he was at our home, he was professional, thorough, extremely pleasant, and explained things well.  You are very lucky to have such an outstanding employee!"

Vicki F.
Blaine, MN
March 25, 2023

"Great job. Workers were friendly and cleaned up everything when they were done. They stopped to tell me they were ready to work and checked in when they were done."

Carolyn I.
Andover, MN
March 16, 2023

"This company has all ways been honest with us, took care of us and their workmanship is second to none."

Michael N.
Rosemount, MN
March 13, 2023

"Very professional, super quality work, everyone was very pleasant, would highly recommend, will continue to use Lindus for all future projects."

Chuck V.
Chaska, MN
February 18, 2023

"Service and work were excellent; thank you!"

Ron B.
Burnsville, MN
January 19, 2023

"The technician worked very efficiently and put in long hours to get the job done. Excellent work and we were very grateful."

Pam L.
Oakdale, MN
January 12, 2023

"I have used Lindus in the past and they once again, gave me excellent service. They stand behind their products and service. I have referred them to many friends."

Susan B.
St. Paul, MN
January 6, 2023

"We have had them do work at our home before and at my parents' house. They did great work!"

Sue R.
St. Croix Falls, WI
January 3, 2023

"The two young men that did the install were great.  They were personal and appeared very conscientious."

Jim H.
St. Anthony, MN
December 30, 2022

"Always polite and considerate. Last inspection was a quality control and I was impressed with him and his thorough inspection. Great job!"

Irene S.
Bloomington, MN
December 20, 2022

"We had a great experience with Lindus. The communication has been great. When I had a question I received a return email or phone call quickly. When Lindus employees were at our home, they explained what they were doing in great detail, my questions were always satisfactory answered. I will gladly continue to refer Lindus to friends and neighbors."

Roger D.
Shoreview, MN
November 29, 2022

"I highly recommend Lindus Construction. I have used them for three projects over the last few years and they are easy to contact, the people are friendly and they do very high quality work. Don’t hesitate to use Lindus for your next project."

Darrell M.
Lino Lakes, MN
June 9, 2022
Contact Us To Schedule A Complimentary Estimate. Receive A Heat Map Analysis With Insulation Estimates Through October 31st.
Some restrictions may apply. Call for details.
icon
Call
icon
Services
icon
Appointments
Menu